We shouldn’t have to explain why it’s not acceptable for unarmed teenagers to be gunned down by the police.
We shouldn’t have to explain why even though Mike Brown’s life didn’t matter to you or a Ferguson police officer, it mattered to someone.
We shouldn’t have to explain that the clothes we wear don’t protect us against, or make us more susceptible to, violence. Four little girls were bombed in their church dresses and Martin Luther King Jr. was gunned down in a suit and tie.
We shouldn’t have to explain that the right to due process—that which was not afforded to Mike Brown—is in the Constitution of the United States of America. In fact, it’s in there twice.
We shouldn’t have to explain why the correct response to these tragedies is not, “but what about black on black crime?” 84 percent of white people killed every year are killed by other whites and no one ever attempts to undermine any of the senseless violence they suffer.
We shouldn’t have to explain that the punishment for even the most heinous crimes in our country is not a public execution without a trial.
We shouldn’t have to explain why we don’t trust cops when a number of eyewitnesses tell a consistent and vastly different story than that of the police officer who murdered Mike Brown.
We shouldn’t have to explain why we fight back when we are attacked.
We shouldn’t have to explain why we deserve the same protections and rights afforded to every other citizen of America.
But maybe you can help with some other questions I have, because I am at a loss.
Can you explain why Mike Brown was gunned down in the street while James Eagan Holmes, who killed twelve people and injured 70 others after opening fire in a movie theater, was escorted into a squad car? Can you explain why Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is still alive but Mike Brown isn’t? What about Jared Lee Loughner?
Can you explain why Mike Brown’s body was left uncovered in the middle of the street for hours for any reason other than to send a message to his community?
Can you explain why a black man is killed by the police every 28 hours in this country?
Can you explain why the Ferguson Police Department disproportionately searches black people while the contraband hit rate for white people is higher?
Can you explain the complete disregard for black life that resulted in the deaths of John Crawford, Eric Garner, Trayvon Martin, Tarika Wilson, Malcolm Ferguson, Renisha McBride, Amadou Diallo, Yvette Smith, Oscar Grant, Sean Bell, Kathryn Johnston and Rekia Boyd?
Can you explain why the police rolled up to a candlelight vigil in SWAT gear?
Better yet, can you explain any of that to Mike Brown’s mother?Kara Brown, This Is Why We’re Mad About the Shooting of Mike Brown (via framesjanco)
- Male Writer: Ah, anniversary jokes are so funny. Because chicks always hate it when you don't remember anniversaries! A plus gold very original
- Male Writer: Mother in laws amirite?
- Male Writer: My male character who is an author insert of myself pines after a woman I used to pine after in high school. Then they have sex. This is good literature.
- Male Writer: Ugh female books are so romance filled
- Male Writer: And girl fanfics, so mary suey
- Male Writer: Now listen about this original middle aged man who is an expert in everything, suffers from ennui, looks like me, acts like me, and gets all the girls i want.
- Male Writer: She was sexy in an alluring, boring way, filled with purple prose and riddled with objectification
- Male Writer: If i make a female character parrot my misogynistic views, they cease to be misogynistic! Are you saying you don't respect my fake female characters opinions, feminists?
- Male Writer: a good action girl is one who looks hot at all times
- Male Writer: If the female main character got in an asskicking line, my work is Feminist with a capital F and no one can criticize me
- Specifically White Male Writer: Heroic tropes are so overdone. I'm going to create a boring white guy with stubble to be a completely original antihero no one has ever seen before TM.
- Same Guy: It's original because he is a jerk who gets away with bad behavior, just like I wish i could.
- Another Specifically White Male Writer: It's in my universe to only have white men do things in my book. I mean, don't you care about historical accuracy
- Same Guy: I mean, it's a generic fantasy verse with no real life time period equivalent and i haven't done any research, but i'm SURE that it's historically accurate. To that dark mideval dragon fighting europe period
- Same Guy: Where in Europe? Who cares!
- Male Writer: There is no better way to introduce a female character to a male character than by him saving her.
- Male Writer: Characters hating each other is good sexual tension!
- Male Writer: One female character and five male characters is a good team balance
- Male Writer: If my female character chooses to act in a sexist tropey way, it's not sexist. In fact, because she CHOSE to do it, it is Feminist.
- Male Writer: I am original
James Vincent McMorrow - Cavalier (SAFIA Cover)
yetanotherskinnybitch said: Hi, are you a cheerleader on a team in London? Do you stunt at TC's open gym by any chance?
Heya, I am a cheerleader but not a London team, I’m on Rising Stars which is up in Manchester.
I’ve been abroad for awhile but yeah I’ll be going to TC loads over the summer :)
I wonder how many stranger’s stories we make it into? You know, maybe someone saw you in passing and told their friends about how pretty the girl in the lavender sweater was. Or maybe they overheard you say a joke and repeated it to their friend, confessing that they heard it from some guy at the store.
I think about this all the time
"You can’t just change the race of cultural icons like Captain America! It’s an important part of their identity and message!"
Jesus: Ah yes.
Jesus: Can’t imagine who would do that.
Jesus: What a shame.
why get a job when you can get hit by cars and sue the drivers
And then you get injured and possibility die? I don’t think so.
get rich or die tryin dont you know the fuckin motto
pretty sure that’s YOLO?
Schoolboys need to have lessons in feminism to help teach them how to treat women, Labour claims.
Compulsory sex education classes should be held in all schools to tackle the rise of sexist abuse fuelled by internet porn, Yvette Cooper said.
The shadow home secretary warned a culture is spreading in schools where girls are subject to verbal abuse and have their shirts undone and skirts lifted by boys who do not respect them.
You have no idea how happy this makes me.
For an deeper (non-Daily Mail) look at Yvette Cooper’s feminist proposals from Friday, read this. The proposals include, as the Guardian reports:
• A violence against women and girls bill in Labour’s first Queen’s Speech, setting up a new women’s safety watchdog to investigate and report on issues such as domestic violence and female genital mutilation
• “People who post intimate pictures of their former partners online in so-called revenge porn attacks, or who blackmail them with such images, could face new criminal charges.
• “A ban on the use of community resolutions by the police for perpetrators of sexual violence and domestic abuse. A community resolution resolves a minor offence or antisocial behaviour incident through informal agreement between those involved. Instead, those found guilty of such behaviour could end up with a criminal record.”
This is very, very good news. Support it, share it.
john cage’s 4’33” is fucking silence
someone put a copyright on the absence of sound
and then disabled the audio of a video
of the absence of sound
what a time to be alive
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA VERY CAPITALISM